Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mommy, I want to be a journalist one day!

So I'm not a journalist. I'm a full-time college student and most of what I write is more of the old "according to This Fantastically Smart But Utterly Out of Touch Critic" than anything that's actually relevant to life in the 21st century. (But I will always love you Stephen Greenblatt.)

People at my school think I'm a journalist because I edit the school paper and sometimes write the really big news stories that we don't trust anyone else to cover. Whoop-de-doo. The last thing I wrote about was Niel Nielson's resignation as Covenant's president. A breaking story for sure, but not when published a week after it actually broke in an email. Oh, and I used the word "calling." Put that in my resume.

But I would really like to be a journalist. In all my twenty-two-year-old breathless fervor, "journalism" is "what I want to do when I graduate [in two weeks]." (Maybe because there's just nothing else? Or maybe because part of me still thinks it's super sexy. Then I remember I'm not Anderson Cooper.)

For better or worse, this blog is my partner in crime, my travel tool, my blank space of sand in which I trace the meandering successes and failures of my expedition into multimedia journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment