Thursday, April 14, 2011

Video Reporting and the Five Shot Rule

Today I'm learning the basic-basic-basics (that's like the basics before the basics) of video reporting.

I have a convergence assignment from WJI which includes: the story (in 300 words), photos taken while reporting, a slideshow with photos and audio, an audio interview, a video, and supplementary links. Pretty basic probably but pretty damn overwhelming when you first look at it and think "Last time I used a camera was in Jamaica for a mission trip." And yet I'm finding it vastly more stimulating and rewarding than working on my SIP would be right now. (It's okay, GPA, we had a good run.)

So in the past ten minutes I've been learning the Five Shot Rule (that's a link to a really good video but don't watch it yet because then what I say will be boring and redundant).

1st shot: Get a close-up on the hands. You want to show us what your subject is doing: writing? tattooing? making cool pottery like Demi Moore?  Ooh, show me!

2nd shot: Your subject's face.  Let's see 'em talking.

3rd shot: Wide. Show me the place. (Also a good idea, particularly for stills and slideshows: Start the whole video with a wide shot - like, skyline wide. Narrow in to your specific building/street/area, then narrow again to the actual subject.)

4th shot: Over the shoulder of the person in question onto the action in question. Similar to the hands shot probably, but wider and from a different angle.

5th shot: uhhh, something like "Just get a different angle and for G--'s sake make it interesting."

Time to try this stuff out on Will Lutz's rhino.

No comments:

Post a Comment